hat are the qualities and characteristics of love that you seek to experience in dating/committed relationships? Where do you see these illustrated in music? Do you believe in the quest for soul mates as described in the article? Why/why not?
In a committed relationship, I expect to experience several things. I expect to experience a mutually strong connection and care for the other person. I think there should be a sense of responsibility for the direction of the relationship and an understanding that commitment is serious. I think that happiness is extremely important, and both people should feel like they have the potential to be their best and happiest person in the relationship. I see examples of the support love requires in many songs. For one example, Adele's "Make You Feel My Love" references the unconditional support and love one person can give to another when they are feeling down or need care. Carrie Underwood's "I Told You So" talks about being hopeful that someone's love will accept them back and forgive them after they made the mistake of leaving. I think in love someone should be confident that they could be happy with the other person for the rest of their life. In Christina Perri's "Thousand Years", she sings about being completely sure beyond a doubt that she could spend every single day with the man she loves. "I have died every day waiting for you. Darling don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years- I'll love you for a thousand more." I think that on the search for a soulmate people may sometimes lose someone who they cannot forget, and one of my favorite songs, Ed Sheeran's "Give me Love" talks about not being able to get over a girl and after time apart only needing her more than ever. With this comes the idea that you could have lost your soulmate.. aka finding someone who is perfect for you doesn't mean it has to be all rainbows and butterflies along the way. I agree that people aren't willing enough to work on their relationships- we can't expect one person to provide all the emotional nourishment we need, just as we don't expect ourselves to be complete emotional satisfaction for another person. My favorite song, John Mayer's "Slow Dancing In a burning Room" talks about two people who used to be completely in love but can see their relationship falling apart. "I was the one you always dreamed of, you were the one I tried to draw.." and "We're going down, And you can see it too. We're going down, And you know that we're doomed- my dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room." I think too many people think that once they find that perfect relationship, that's it. Things can really change over time, and I think that part of love is learning to love in different ways through the years and different life circumstances. I agree with the article's idea of looking for a great mate- someone with similar values, who makes you a better person, and someone you can consider you best friend, while still maintaining other healthy relationships outside of marriage.
No comments:
Post a Comment