Monday, December 2, 2013

Gray Rape

I read the gray rape article last year, among many other articles I read regarding date rape and slut-shaming in general, for a large presentation I gave in morality on Date rape and the double standard set for women in America. It ended up leading into many questions and discussions that made the presentation last the entire block- which I think emphasizes how controversial, important, and uninformed we are on this issue.
For one, the statistics related to accused rapists, convicted rapists, imprisoned rapists, and falsely accused rapists really give one a lot to think about.
(that's 1000 total)
An extremely low percentage of rapes are false accusations made out of regret by girls. The "Blurred Line" isn't so blurred at all... it should be simple, that if a girl is vulnerable, she shouldn't be taken advantage of. The only blurred line is how this plays out in courts, because it is one person's word against another. I think that the only way to really make a change is to spread the idea of the importance of real consent, and what that means. Sobriety, comfort, etc. 
I also think that while it is nice to say that girls should be able to drink as much as they want and wear whatever they want and be completely safe, that is not yet a reality. Girls need to make sure they stick together, watch out for eachother around guys, and keep an eye on eachother. They should still avoid sketchy situations, and have someone with them who can take care of them in the event of extreme intoxication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment