Tuesday, November 19, 2013

hookup culture

I don't think that dating trains us for divorce. I think that dating is a way to test the waters and find what kind of people we best mesh with as strictly coworkers, or friends, or romantically. I think throwing yourself into deep involvement emotionally and sexually every time you enter a relationship does make you more wary and worried about trusting people when the relationships eventually end, and so we should really carefully consider how fast we move with people and how intensely we involve ourselves in the relationship. I think healthy relationships, where you continually reevaluate how you feel about the person, how you feel about the future, and how well you work together, can lead you to grow as a person and eventually find a person you know you can be with forever. I think having common random hookups places little value on the emotional connection that results from this over-sexualized culture, and I  don't know many people who feel great after having a quick, no strings attached hookup. I think it causes people to lose the opportunities for friendships, because the two usually start clicking on some level, and then hookup right away and usually ruin chances of becoming close in the future. I also think girls experience a serious double standard, where it is acceptable for guys to run around getting with as many girls as they can, but a girl who does the same is never taken seriously. It has become so common that it would be less uncomfortable to watch two people hookup in public than to catch them out to dinner together.

No comments:

Post a Comment