Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Perspectives on Marriage

I think my parents and grandparents both have marriages for which I aspire. In both relationships, I have seen serious commitment, love, and a true friendship and ability to have fun. They have raised strong, close families, and I don't see many aspects that are negative. I am sure my marriage will be personal and different because we are different people, but there is no particular aspect of their marriage that I can specifically point out as something I know I would want to do different. I hope to marry my best friend- someone who makes me happy at even my lowest moments, and someone for whom I feel a strong desire to take care of. I want the work in our relationship to be done towards compromise on money and children and important life decisions, but I do not want to have to work at loving the other person. I want my care for him to feel completely natural.
The book presents some views of marriage from ancient times and the Old Testament that I completely disagree with. Concubines, subordination, and loveless marriages were all considered acceptable practices in the past, and I think these practices undermine the strength of the bond of marriage. Fidelity is a full commitment of oneself to another person that enables you to grow together both body and soul. Having an equal partnership allows both husband and wife to bring what they have to offer to the relationship, and enables them to make important decision together. Love helps couples stick together through thick and thin, and make selfless decisions for the other person that benefit their marriage and themselves as people in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment