Monday, November 18, 2013

Miss Representation

Watching the documentary on misrepresentation of women in society only reaffirmed my already strong beliefs in the inequality and double standard women face in America. Women are sexualized, objectified, devalued, and dehumanized in efforts to sell products, make successful movies and tv shows, idealize the perfect woman for men. This idealization lessens all women's legitimacy and puts us in a difficult, appearance based society.
Women are rarely encouraged to go for leadership of powerful roles. There are so few women soldiers, police officers, firefighters, politicians, and executives. When one thinks of the powerful CEO, we envision a strong man in a nice suit. When we picture his secretary, we imagine a woman. Not every situation is like this of course, and not everyone pictures things that way, but it is the typical depiction we see within the media, and the actual workplace.
I want to be powerful. I know that I am smart, people-oriented, and would be able to make a difference in my future. I love to lead and want to be a high-powered CEO or the president of the US. I want to show that women are the new men. I think our society isn't focused enough on equal merit and accomplishment, and it continues to give or take away opportunities based on race and gender. I don't look forward to fighting twice as hard in the future to be taken seriously in the workplace, or facing judgement for having to choose between a relationship and family or a job. I don't look forward to facing judgement for my appearance on a bad day, or taken for being emotional when I am stressed. I think women have a lot of work to do, and a lot of change to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment