Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Identity

My family has been the biggest factor in shaping my identity. My parents have encouraged creativity, thoughtfulness, responsibility, and kindness in me since day one. They are constantly giving me advice on how to better myself as a person, and praising my successes and triumphs. My siblings teach me and challenge me in different ways as I have developed relationships with them over the years, and they have been constant friends and companions.

The single biggest commitment I have made during my time in high school has been my decision to join the rowing team. Rowing has completely transformed me as an athlete, leader, and individual as a whole. The sport is a daily test of strength and willpower, and has required my endless patience and focus for every stroke I have taken over the past three years. I successfully made the team my freshman year, and have since then worked my way, 6 practices a week from September to June, to the honor of Most Valuable Oarswoman this past spring season. My confidence and leadership thrive in this environment, where I have learned to lead through supportive words, thoughtful advice, and silent example. I am 3 years, 6 seasons, and millions of strokes into the sport, and my success and commitment to rowing has now enabled me to row at Columbia for the next four years.

My friends have also been invaluable in defining who I am. They have helped me not only discover more about my character, but challenge me to decide what I value most in life. As I have changed over the course of high school and my life as a whole, I have had friends come and go, and many that have stuck with me through it all. Finding people that I am totally comfortable with has shown me a lot about myself as a person, and being with them allows me to be my best self.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment