Thursday, January 9, 2014

IVF

I think the biggest pro of IVF is giving couples who are unable to conceive a chance at creating their own family consisting of their genetic children. This can be a wonderful opportunity and blessing for those couples, and give them great happiness and fulfillment in their life. The biggest con of IVF is the capability of humans essentially "playing God"and attempting to genetically design the traits of their baby. The Church sees IVF overall as a form of playing God, and overstepping the boundaries of natural conception. The Church also believes that life begins at the moment two sex cells combine, and the creation of embryo cells for IVF often results in unused, extra cells. When these are discarded, the Church sees this as discarding potential human life.  While I don't think people should be making designer babies, I do think IVF is acceptable and wonderful for people who can take advantage of it. I don't think the fact that it is expensive makes it morally unacceptable, because hormone treatment can be expensive and the Church sees that as acceptable. Also, we wouldn't have connected with our new friends/extended family the Savages if IVF were not possible. Yay babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment